Monday, May 12, 2014

Dolly Parton Explains Her New Gospel Cover Of Bon Jovi's 'Lay Your Hands On Me'

Dolly Parton launches album 42, Blue Smoke, on 13 May, and a song on the track list may surprise”. Lay Your Hands on Me" , a cover of Bon Jovi's 1988 hit



" I 've always liked the song, but the first time I heard it - because I grew up in a Pentecostal church , where people believe in healing hands and laying his hands on someone - I just thought , " Wow , that would make a great gospel song, " Parton tells EW .

Still, she knew sexualized lyrics need a bit of updating. " You cannot take liberties with the song people do not run them, so I contacted Jon and Richie Sambora , who wrote the song together , and asked : " I would love to do this as a gospel song , would and 'all help me to put that together? ' They were all for him, and everyone threw in their small ideas, and threw me on my own, "she says.

How did the children feel about the final version? "They were excited about it. Indeed, Richie was in one of my programs in Australia [in February]. He went crazy when I did it on stage in front of the audience. He had his video manager on your tiny phone or whatever. Said that just play again and again. That made me feels good, "says Parton.” And Jon wrote a real nice note he liked the way it turned out. "

No comments:

Post a Comment